Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The Rodders Forum > The Builders Board

The Builders Board Hot rod and kustom lovers... this is your place. (yep... and bikes too)
(Main discussion area)

Cinematic

Old March 24th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #1
KurseD
Forum Member

Default 50 Chevy 3100

SO, try to make a REALLY long story short. I drove "Felina" the oval back from TX, started to work on her a little. Each time I went out to work on her I was nauseated at how half arsed it was put together. TOTAL red neck job. Big Guy shipped some OG seats down for me and I couldn't even put the passenger side in the thing cause the original owner/builder/drunk had cut the pass seat track out to install his fast and furious racing seats!!! ARGH!!!

So anyway, after HATING the car for a couple years and watching it slowly rot away in my yard for a couple years. I was out spewing curse words at her a couple weeks ago when I said "heck with it, you're gone #$@%$!!!" so I put it on eBay, no reserve and it sold...

Now I'm wanting an old hot rod truck. Something I can haul my bikes and junk in without having to ask "can I borrow your truck again?" or "can I borrow your trailer again?" cause that gets lame pretty quick. I tried to buy a 52 Ford f1 but it sold the week before I had the cash. While telling that story to my brother-in-law, he offered me up his 49 Chevy 3100 project for what he had in it and I couldn't refuse.... $200

Soooooo.... new tags and title and original purchase price, I'm now in for $450 and need to get this thing together F A S T... but I build it the way I want to, and don't have to deal with someone else's half arsedness! only mine!

So here's the lowdown

1949 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton short bed
4 speed
1959 Chevy 235 inline six (supposedly ran great, we'll see)
new floor pans (not installed)
new cab corners (not installed)
lots of new weather striping (not installed)
quite a bit of free cancerous rot in the cab

missing:
one rear fender
tail gate
bed header panel
windshields
grille
seat
gas tank
front bumper
lots of little odds and ends

Friend has a 3/4 ton parts truck that I should be able to get some of the missing parts off of. Plans are to get it together, running, and lower. All one color, and my little girls are trying to talk me into flames...

Last edited by KurseD; April 28th, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
KurseD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #2
MrChainsaw
Forum Member

Default Re: OT: my 49 Chevy Pickup

I'd almost say leave it multi colored, and make sure none of the seems match up when you put it together. Still get it running and lower it though.

But maybe you like nice things, which I can respect.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #3
KurseD
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChainsaw View Post
I'd almost say leave it multi colored, and make sure none of the seems match up when you put it together. Still get it running and lower it though.

But maybe you like nice things, which I can respect.
The third picture is the finished product man! Custom tilt out and slide down doors dude... you just pop them open and slide down and out through the window hole...

Nah, it's going one color, probably rattle can for now cause I have ONE NOSY NEIGHBOR who loves to call Johnny Law on me every other week for parking infractions, and missing city stickers on antique cars, and antique cars parked on the street for more than seven days, and inoperable vehicles in my driveway that have had a flat tire for a week, etc etc etc... so to try to keep her happy and the police off my doorstep I'll spray it one color REALLY quick, then paint it right down the road...
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #4
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Your first pic won't enlarge. But I'd get on that engine first thing, get it running before you put all the parts back on. Looks like a good project

so,,,,, is it done yet?
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #5
norville
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've seen a few folks stick S10 frames and running gear under them. It's a real nice job especially is you drop in an eight. Although the 4.3 is a nice daily mill.

bob
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #6
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Me, I'd find a S-10 chassis or beatter S10 they can be had for cheap. Now you have late model parts you can find and most of the are cheap, easy to lower, have disc brakes, p/s. good updated suspension, newer wiring and fuel tank, ect ect ect.. Mount the cab, which there should be plenty of info on this out there, and drive. And be safer to take the kids with you places. Then sell the old frame and motor to recoup some of your cash.
That all being said, if the S10 frame is in the budget, we all know how tight money is. Good luck, loks like fun

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #7
KurseD
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
Your first pic won't enlarge. But I'd get on that engine first thing, get it running before you put all the parts back on. Looks like a good project

so,,,,, is it done yet?
dont know what's up with the linkydoo in the first pic, I tried to edit and fix it but it keeps doing the same thing, maybe Bill broke the link

NO S-10 FRAMES HERE!!!

I've got a lead on a REALLY cheap longbed s10 in a scrap yard, but EVERYONE and their uncle are doing s10 swaps. I'm not opposed to swapping parts, but the late model stuff under a classic kinda turns me off... I like it old, crusty, and not so safe I guess. Plus, I want to play with what I have. Maybe eventually put a v8 in or do a rearend swap, who knows, but for now she stays semi-stockish... nothing against the guys doing the s10 swaps, it's just not my thing. If I swap parts I'd rather keep the parts 60s-ish and older. I'm looking at other rearends that are common swaps too.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #8
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I think you guys mean a C10?
But if the old chevy is anything like the old fords, just update the running and stopping gear and leave the frame as is and enjoy it.
We have a 49panel that unless we get a 4x4 f250 frame, complete with engine and driveline, we are just going to update everything else. We've already found we can swap all the brake parts to what's under my 62 or go something better like what's on my bronco, pads instead of drums, possi rear, have a 302, otherwise, it's as is~
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #9
KurseD
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
I think you guys mean a C10?
nope, they mean S 10 ... a lot of guys are swapping the first generation s10 longbed 2wd frames under the 47-54 Chevy 3100s. It's a fairly simple swap, near the same wheel base, modern suspension, bolt on airbag options, bolt in v8 swap is easy. I just don't want to go that route.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #10
ratlook63
Forum Member

Yea if I see another sweet old truck that has a tilt column and digital gauges cause someone decided to throw it on an S-10 frame I'll puke.... but thats just me.

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
ratlook63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Jon
Forum Member

Its possible to not use Digital gauges and tilt columns and still use the S10 brakes, Suspension and Drive train.
If it makes it back on the road and reliable versus sitting for another few years and then getting sold or scrapped i say get it done so you can enjoy it. Just use some classic style wheels or just Steel rims and stay away from the billet crap and it would be fine.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #12
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I love old pickups! Beat on em all day and they keep going! Rounded fenders and a fat grille, yep, lookin' good!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #13
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Get her running with what you got and have a great time with her. There's a huge aftermarket for your truck out there. One thing I would really check are the king pins, and the suspension in general. Aside from that, a nice set of shocks and modern tires will go a long way.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #14
KurseD
Forum Member

Well guys, been sick for a few days so I've been restricted to the computer a little more than I care to be, BUT it has given me the opportunity to do TONS of looking around the net at these AD (Advance Design, the model name chevy gave this style trucks and AD is the slang for the folks who don't know) trucks. I think I'm going with a 4" dropped axle from Sid's for starters, maybe some blocks in the rear and snatch a few springs out front and back and see what happens. I'd like to upgrade from the friction type shocks to modern tube shocks as well while I'm in there cutting and welding. Hope to be able to get outside this weekend, hook up a battery and see what I can get the 235 to do.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #15
alykat
Site Supporter

If you want different but simple with low and safe ? I found a wrecked AMC Pacer. Used the whole front package (it just unbolts and drops out) with disc brakes and a posi rearend. Paid 100 for the Pacer, and 125 for an Olds station wagen with a 455/auto. One weekend for the chassis work and the second to mount and hook up the drive train. Third weekend I did the first drive in a lowered, tire smokin', handle like a go kart, stop like a Cobra pickup truck. That was maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I think Chassis Engineering actually makes an inexpensive kit for that swap now.
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #16
V8SuperBeetle
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Cool! Throw a S10 frame and a SBC 350 under it. I kid, I kid.

If the frame is solid, go for it. If you do plan on doing a V8 swap, I'd go with something along the lines of 283 so it's not the plan Jane 350/350 combo. Not that there's anything wrong with it cause that's what I got under the bug, on a S10 frame.

I do like the patina. Otherwise, a nice shiny paint job would be cool too.

Good luck and have fun with it!

"If it ain't one thing, it's another".

- Wilson "Billy" Chevalier
V8SuperBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #17
KurseD
Forum Member

[QUOTE=V8SuperBeetle;504775]something along the lines of 283 so it's not the plan Jane 350/350 combo./QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking too... My cousin supposedly has a nice 327 that I need to check on, 283 would be nice as well... I've also had my eyes on some cool nailheads, rocket 88 motors, and such from the scrap yard... we'll see what I end up with when that day comes I guess...

Oh, and there's this 1956 Dodge Royal with a non-Hemi Red Ram that would be a cool mill for the beast as well...

Here I'll try to re-do that first picture I posted that got messed up too while I'm here...

Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #18
KurseD
Forum Member

ok guys, I know the krylon job is shitty, but I needed something to keep my asshole neighbor off my back for a while. starter is shot so I'm going to rebuild that and hopefully get this beast running soon

Last edited by KurseD; August 6th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
KurseD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #19
38Chevy454
Forum Member

Your plan for dropped axle and some lowering blocks out back, with a couple leafs removed front and back should get a nice stance and better ride. The 235 being a 59 is the later full pressure oiling and are pretty durable engines. I bet as long as it turns over and has some compression you can get it running.

I have a 53 GMC that I am just getting started on building (finally...) that I am using donor Jaguar front and rear suspension in. I have the Jag in the garage and ready to start taking all apart right now. Will run the SBC that is in the Jag for engine.

Cheap old trucks are always fun and useful.

buy here directly: www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #20
KurseD
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Your plan for dropped axle and some lowering blocks out back, with a couple leafs removed front and back should get a nice stance and better ride. The 235 being a 59 is the later full pressure oiling and are pretty durable engines. I bet as long as it turns over and has some compression you can get it running.

I have a 53 GMC that I am just getting started on building (finally...) that I am using donor Jaguar front and rear suspension in. I have the Jag in the garage and ready to start taking all apart right now. Will run the SBC that is in the Jag for engine.

Cheap old trucks are always fun and useful.
I hope the stance is good, seen some pics of others that look good with that done. Do you have a build thread anywhere for your truck? or a photobucket album?
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #21
norville
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Jag clips almost bolt into the early ford truck.

bob
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #22
38Chevy454
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurseD View Post
I hope the stance is good, seen some pics of others that look good with that done. Do you have a build thread anywhere for your truck? or a photobucket album?
Should have a good stance and ride nice. I plan to use both front and rear out of the Jag. I am just starting to take the Jag apart. So no build pics yet. I will post some up here as I make progress. Here is my 53 GMC as it appears today, it is a decent solid body and not much else:

The donor 86 Jag. It is in the garage now, up on stands and ready to start taking apart:

buy here directly: www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #23
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: My 49 Chevy Pickup

Jag ? what type. I have a XJS I'm wanting to lower the front. I bought some xj6 springs still high but I'll give a few weeks to see if it drop it. You have any tricks to drop yours? Z the front.
I didn't look at the next pic oops
Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #24
KurseD
Forum Member

awesome project man, I can't wait to see how that one turns out...
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #25
KurseD
Forum Member

I got another!!!! Well, I haven't paid for it yet, my friend "Leaky Paul" is kind of financing me one of his "extras". We're going to get it going and then I'll sell the 49, the new truck is COMPLETE 1950 original forest green paint, original rims and hubcaps, nice seat, OG heater. The cab has already been patched, the cross supports in the bed are shot, fenders are dented up, orignal 216 inline 6 and 3 on the tree (I'm thinking about swapping in my 4 in the floor from the 49). I'm going to use some parts off the red 49 to finish up the green 50 and sell whats left of the 49 as a complete project truck for someone else to play with. ;)